Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Things Are Perfect Just As They Are, Even When Things Are Shitty

I would like to preface this by saying if you are religious, that's fine by me. I consider myself an agnostic Buddhist and I don't tend to agree with a lot of traditional, organized religions. I do however believe we all need to investigate and find out what works for ourselves, so if for you that means religion then by all means live your life accordingly. No judgements from me.

At first glance this title might seem like I'm suggesting belief in some sort of supernatural order in life, as if some force greater than ourselves is dictating our lives and therefore everything is just as it should be, but that's not it at all! One of the greatest draws of Buddhism to me is that it is a philosophy of investigation and action. We are taught to learn for ourselves, to take nothing for granted and to find meaningful, logical answers. This goes hand in hand with scientific theory and logic, no Gods or religious shit necessary. I believe from a logical, scientific viewpoint things have happened exactly as they needed to for us to be where we are now. There is no greater opportunity than the present moment and without the circumstances leading up to the present moment this opportunity could not exist. Furthermore, there is no other way that things could have happened! We can sit around and dwell and wish things had occurred differently but that won't change shit! So why torture ourselves wishing for the impossible? That would line up better with traditional religions and prayer than Buddhism or even science.

When things are going well it may be easier to entertain the idea that everything is as it should be, but life isn't always pleasant. Still I believe even in the worst times, everything is as it should be. Without the bad parts, we would never be motivated to improve nor would we appreciate the good parts of life. In that sense tragedy is just as important in our lives as happiness. Even great tragedies serve a purpose. I certainly would not be the person I am today had I not lost my mother and sister when I did, and every loss since then has only further fueled my search for meaning. This might sound cold, but my mother and sister, my grandparents, aunt, friends, everyone in my life I've loved who has passed, had to die. Eventually all of us have to die, we never know when or how but we can't escape this truth. With that in mind, surely it is a waste of our present moment to wish they hadn't died. I can morn, and I do often, but more importantly I try to carry them with me and use that to fuel my life. I believe there is a huge distinction between dwelling and remembering. Dwelling impedes our ability to be present, to be alive. Remembering however, when done with the right intentions can be very liberating and motivating.

The fact is none of us know what happens when we die. This brings up two very important points of contemplation: if our loved ones can somehow watch us, would they want us dwelling on their deaths? I don't believe so. Secondly, given that we know nothing about the afterlife, and this might be all we get, shouldn't we strive to fully live instead of dwelling on the uncontrollable? Absofuckinglutely. So get out there and fucking live. Remember tragedy, but don't dwell. Keep in mind everything that has ever happened has created an amazing opportunity in the present moment and take that moment for everything it's worth. Live your fucking life and do good as often as possible!

Xoxo Dildos,
Mig

1 comment:

  1. I rarely see an older person ( 3rd generation) cry at funerals. I can't imagine it gets easier with time.

    ReplyDelete